About Me

My photo
Hi and welcome to my motorcycle trip blog. Here you will find motorcycle trip reports primarily based in the State of Washington and Idaho. Born and raised in Washington I have over 50 years of motorcycle experience. Enjoy the ride.

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Seattle to Yakima

My wife Linda does not ride with me often but once in while we get out together. She enjoys the day rides around Washington State. It gives her time to relax.

So Saturday we decided to ride to Yakima to visit her Mother and retrieve our Starbucks Ceramic Double Walled 12 oz coffee cups we left after our last visit.

-font-b-Starbucks-b-font-Tumblers-2011-a

We leave home at 9:30 a wife happy departure time. Here is our route.

Before we leave I check the state web cams to find the cloud deck was at about 2000’ feet. Good news for it would warm up a bit as we cross the 4700' Cayuse Pass.

On the road at 9:30 it is about 55 degrees. We drive through Enumclaw and climb to the plateau near Mud Mountain dam where Hwy 410 follows the White River toward Mt. Rainier. 

As expected the clouds begin to give way to clear skies near Greenwater.

IMG_0743%2520%2528600x450%2529.jpg

Greenwater Washington home of Whapiti Woolies where you can buy latte’s and ski hats. Established in 1974, Whapiti Woolies has been making the finest hats available anywhere in the world.

Happy Humpers ski hat.  Ah mating Elk!
Happy%20Humper%20Flap%20Hats.jpg

I still have my happy humper ski hat and used to wear it proudly when I skied.

Crystal Mountain ski area, the best ski hill in Washington, is nearby. Driving through Greenwater and along the White River all you see is a hall of trees, not Mt. Rainier or the ski hill, no sight of recreational opportunities one would expect and usually no snow even is season. This must leave visitors confused with thoughts of feeling lost - where all all these wonderful places?  Imagine driving in a Canyon and your car is surrounded by trees following the road along a river bed. The road starts to climb out of the river bed just after entering Mt. Rainier National Park. Just after the road to Sunrise is this spectacular view of Mt. Rainier, of the most photographed spot in Washington.

Mt. Rainier and the White River. Steamboat Prow is the peak between the river and Mt. Rainier in the background. 

IMG_0745%2520%2528600x450%2529.jpg

After White Pass I whip out the camera along the Tieton River. The river is running fast and I can see Oak trees alongside the road. It reminds me of California.

Tieton River along Hwy 12

IMG_0748%2520%2528600x387%2529.jpg

IMG_0749%2520%2528600x387%2529.jpg

The Wife
IMG_0750%2520%2528600x450%2529.jpg

Tieton River along Hwy 12

IMG_0754%2520%2528600x501%2529.jpg

We arrive in Yakima to visit with Linda’s mom. After a sandwhich and cheese cake I take a nap in the chair. Before leaving I help install an arbor on a fence and dig a hole for planting a Clematis. Thankfully the soil was soft. A shovel was the only tool I needed to dig the hole.

We ride back home heading west with the sun facing us the entire way. This makes for lousy photography so I decided to leave the camera in my pocket. I notice there is a lot less snow at Chinook Pass compared to last week and Tipsoo Lake is beginning to thaw out.

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezeout Saddle

During the first full week on October my lovely bride and I flew to Boston toured Boston for two days then drove north to tour New Hampshir...