About Me

My photo
Hi and welcome to my motorcycle trip blog. Here you will find motorcycle trip reports primarily based in the State of Washington and Idaho. Born and raised in Washington I have over 50 years of motorcycle experience. Enjoy the ride.

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Three Scenic Byways Three States One Day

Today I rode The White Pine Scenic Byway , The St. Joe River Scenic Byway and bits of the Palouse Scenic Byway.

It was a grand day with temps between 65 and 72 degrees and blue skies. Three scenic byways and three states in one day equals too much fun. This retirement gig is very nice. Here is the route.

Starting in the wheat fields south of Spokane this route includes pieces of Palouse Scenic Byway.  This Byway is described by the state as a patchwork quilt of rolling terrain taking you over hundreds of miles of undulating hills, rich farmlands, and friendly rural communities.  A quick look at the map brings something simpler to mind - the Palouse scenic byway is a cluster fuk of several roads.

I entered the town of Potlach Idaho and was struck by how quaint it was. This is a place I will come back to spend some time. There was a interesting RV park, nice downtown core and then a dusty field with folks playing baseball on a dusty field with an audience in the stands. It was a mixed league with both men and women playing but at distance it was hard to make out their ages but there were no blue hairs out there. Mid-week not a school or little league yet people where playing baseball. How cool is that? Field of Dreams.

Potalch marks the southern end of The White Pine Scenic Byway featuring mountain views and farmland. The Palouse Divide Nordic Ski Area is the summit at 3200 feet and for 2 miles each side of the summit the twisty road is very good with some frost heaves but the speed limit is reduced from 55 to 35. The 35 mph is limit was promptly ignored as I was riding FJR nominal. It became clear as I spend time in Idaho any areas deemed a hazard was mark with a 35 mph sign. Blah.

I roll in to St. Maries (pronounced like "St. Mary's") and fuel up. Next up is the St. Joe River Scenic Byway and this was the highlight of the day. It was a 90 mile down and 90 mile back road along the, get ready, here it comes, .... the St. Joe River. Fontanaman loves river roads and today I got to ride 180 miles of river road in spring time when the river is flowing with mountain snow runoff. Most excellent except for some frost heaves and dubious pavement on places.

For this ride I got my groove on by playing some Marcy Playground. And then the scenery improved. So enough of my silly narrative and let's get to the photos.

tYxZeLz.jpg

Same trees different composition.

cUn5r6d.jpg

RDQYuS0.jpg

vUBwM5i.jpg

Leaning trees. I should have stopped to get a better shot.

Ty8I2JQ.jpg

1cOGZkq.jpg

Same spot as above but without the road.

FwPb2wr.jpg

Interesting rock cliff to the left.

QjPDeIu.jpg

CwQmUUp.jpg

End of the line at the Idaho Montana border.

06qbFy9.jpg

The road goes to gravel for 15 miles to St. Regis Montana and dumps out a I-90.

nKj4U1c.jpg

Home is west west so there is no incentive to ride a gravel road to get home even when the road is clear of snow. Darn this means I have ride another 90 miles of very nice very road. I tell ya this retirement life is really tough.
fXyKIJP.jpg
I need to fill in some color on this damn map.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezeout Saddle

During the first full week on October my lovely bride and I flew to Boston toured Boston for two days then drove north to tour New Hampshir...