About Me

My photo
Hi and welcome to my motorcycle trip blog. Here you will find motorcycle trip reports primarily based in the State of Washington and Idaho. Born and raised in Washington I have over 50 years of motorcycle experience. Enjoy the ride.

Saturday, September 8, 2012

4 Volcanoes Day 1

I was considering a ride to South Dakota to see the sites but the moon and stars did not align.  Instead I spend 4 wonderful days with the wife on a get away to Kokanee Spring Golf Resort in BC.  A very low key, unpretentious and casual place.  It is a slice of heaven on earth.  We had a blast.

So with three days of free time I pondered my options and decided to ride to the Columbia River Gorge.  The goal was to ride roads not rode often enough, 250 miles per day, find road never road before and take some photos along the way.

Here is my route for day one.


View Larger Map

I planned on a 9:00am start time or so.  No hurries on this trip, no big mileage days, just a relaxing day on the FJR.  With the bike packed I was donned my helmet and went to get the sunglasses.  No sunglasses. Nuts.  They were in my car and my wife drive the car to work, 30 miles away.  I arrive at the car, open the door and no sunglasses.  This is when I remembered I had already put the sunglasses in my tank bag the night before.  The tank bag was on the motorcycle. Shuckin's and pashaw.

With sunglasses mounted on my nose I get gas in Enumclaw and head to the first road not rode often, Sunrise at Mt. Rainier.  It was a Thursday and the traffic was light and the riding fantastic.  With temps in the mid '60 and clear blue skies this could be a good day for photos.  And it was.

Sunrise Road near Inspiration Point Mt. Rainier.

Sunrise Road near Inspiration Point Mt. Rainier.
Back to Mather Memorial Parkway where clear skies where cooperating today.

Mt. Rainier along Mather Memorial Parkway.  This is the one everybody takes!  Rarely are the skies so clear.
Next up was a road road often, Chinook Pass.  The goal was to take some photos of the wild flowers at Tipsoo Lake.

Wild Flowers at Tipsoo Lake
Wild Flowers at Tipsoo Lake

Wild Flowers at Tipsoo Lake

Wild Flowers at Tipsoo Lake

Wild Flowers at Tipsoo Lake
I walked around the entire lake taking about 100 photos using my Canon XSi, with a Canon 28-135 lens along with graduated neutral density filters to avoid contrast blowout.  Very relaxing.

Next it was off to Windy Ridge on Mt. St. Helens to enjoy some fine twisties on FS 99.  Mission accomplished, except the last 4 miles of the road are closed until October 5, 2012.  Along the way on FS 25 I shot these photos.

Mt. Rainier from Hwy 25 just south of Randle

The photos of Mt. Rainier above was shot here.
FS 99 on the way to Windy Ridge. I shot this photo in August 2006.  There is much more vegetation now.

FS 99.  I shot this photo July 2007 and it my GPS on boot image.  The small sapplings along side of the road are no longer small and are reducing the sight lines, sticking out 2 feet into the road and are 6 feet high in places.  Go there soon to get the best this road has to offer.  

FS 99.  How about a volcano with your twisties?

The next road not rode often enough was Wind River Highway.  Here you will find six miles of sublime twisties.  If this road doesn't leave a silly grin on your face it is time to sell your bike.  The rest of it it is also a great road.

That is new paint on the road and the road surface is very nice.  Turn, turn, turn.
Wind River Hwy - The road goes on like this for six miles!

Wind River Hwy - The road goes on like this for six miles!
I finish the day by riding to Stevenson Washington where there is a Rodeway Inn and decent restaurants.

The End






3 comments:

  1. I can't get enough of Ranier. Thanks for the read

    Willie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Jim! I love volcanoes as well. Did a US Pacific Ring of Fire tour last year as well. The only mountain I missed photographing was Mt. Adams because the camera battery gave out...dumb move on my part!

    Hope to be up there again this year - certainly hope so. Loved your pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete

Freezeout Saddle

During the first full week on October my lovely bride and I flew to Boston toured Boston for two days then drove north to tour New Hampshir...