About Me

My photo
Hi and welcome to my motorcycle trip blog. Here you will find motorcycle trip reports primarily based in the State of Washington and Idaho. Born and raised in Washington I have over 50 years of motorcycle experience. Enjoy the ride.

Saturday, September 15, 2012

4 Volcanoes Day 3

On day two photography of Mt Hood was difficult because I was shooting into the sun.  Morning would be the best time so on day three I went back to roads rode yesterday to get the shots.

Mt. Hood mounting my FJR.  This is a high dynamic range image

Mt Hood

Mt Hood near Parkdale Oregon 

Mt Hood with the FJR near Parkdale Oregon

Mt Hood along the Columbia River, shot from the Washington side.  Hood River is in the background.

Barge along the Columbia River with smoke from the White Salmon fire. Trees in the foreground and the smoke in the background created some interest for this photo.

Barge along the Columbia River with smoke from the White Salmon fire.  Like this photo because the barge is no longer obstructed by the tree but lacks the interest.

There was three choices for the route home.  The freeway, Hwy 97 or the way I came on day one.  Easy choice so back up Wind River Hwy.  After taking the photo above I found the Cook-Underwood Road a road not rode.  Nice diversion from Hwy 14. 


Cook Underwood Map

View Larger Map

After riding the last road not rode on this trip it was back to the Wind River Hwy.  Arriving at the best part of the highway along the Wind River Highway my Ipod decides to play the perfect music, Moaning by Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers.  Simply awesome - I could not have scripted it better.  On top of it I was riding very well, dropping into the turns at the right time with little adjustment, not early, not late, just perfect along with a nice pace and posture.  
Wind River Highway and Moaning.......
Later arriving at another section of nice turns the Ipod, which is in random play mode, decides to cooperate again and play some Mile Davis.  Nice.

On Windy Ridge road I found a lot of cars.  I stop to shoot this photo in the blow down area.  You can see where the trees were stripped of their limbs in May 1980.  Also there is new growth here and in 10 to 20 years some of these views will be obscured by trees once again.




I decide to give up riding the last few mile along Windy Ridge.  Too much traffic today.
Along the pot holed FS 25 I bounce home, hitting a few more pot holes than I like.  The bright sunny day contributed to a high contrast riding in the shaded areas.  Sometimes I try and stand a bit as I hit these things and on one occasion I hit the pot hole so hard my foot rotates on the foot peg and my heel briefly touches the pavement.  Please fix this road.  The bumpy road ends about 2 mile north of Randle and the smile returns to my face.  It was nice trip on the FJR.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezeout Saddle

During the first full week on October my lovely bride and I flew to Boston toured Boston for two days then drove north to tour New Hampshir...