About Me

My photo
Hi and welcome to my motorcycle trip blog. Here you will find motorcycle trip reports primarily based in the State of Washington and Idaho. Born and raised in Washington I have over 50 years of motorcycle experience. Enjoy the ride.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Dam Tour Day 11

The song is over except in one note, pure and easy
Playing so free like a breath rippling by......
The Who

Today my route was from Madison Campground to Placid Lake State Park north of Missoula, Mt.  Here is the route.


View Larger Map

Montana has few scenic routes for such a large state. The Pioneer scenic byway was in the neighborhood so to speak. I was trying to keep it scenic so this was my inspiration. As you can see from the route above this is an out of the way Byway on remote road Google Maps has a hard time finding.

Unfortunately early season mountain road conditions made travel hazardous along this Byway. I was tooling along and suddenly the painted stripes on the road ended and the road narrowed. The road surface looked strange - is this gravel on the road I wondered? Finally I stopped to take a good look at the road surface. It was firm but with some gravel but I was unable to distinguish gravel from firm pavement.

I was becoming satiated with scenery and this scenery while nice was not as spectacular as Yellowstone. Long story short, I was tired and when I arrived at I-90 I headed home. After riding difficult roads for 3 hours or so I found the freeway oddly relaxing. I was in the go home zone.

Man the FJR eat miles at 80mph and it has an even greater appetite for fuel, especially in a head wind. This was a great trip.

Summary thoughts.

  • I want to return to Colorado. 
  • The Durango area is great as is the town. 
  • I want to ride in South Dakota. Using roll sack on the FJR is a pain. 
  • I am going to get a truck and hotel it in the future. Taking camping gear did not work out this time and I can afford a hotel.

Thanks for following my blog and I hope you enjoyed the ride.

Here is the only photo I shot all day.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezeout Saddle

During the first full week on October my lovely bride and I flew to Boston toured Boston for two days then drove north to tour New Hampshir...