About Me

My photo
Hi and welcome to my motorcycle trip blog. Here you will find motorcycle trip reports primarily based in the State of Washington and Idaho. Born and raised in Washington I have over 50 years of motorcycle experience. Enjoy the ride.

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Dam Tour SW Day 1

It was an excellent day to be out on the Feejer.  Left Seattle about 6:30am and skeddadled down I-5.  Smokey, Leo and all his friends were out in force from Seattle to Chehalis.   My mind wandered.  How is it us normal schmucks get hammered for doing 5 or 10 over while the greedy investment bankers on Wall Street get off scot free.

I blew down I-5 at 75 where allowed - damn this is one nice machine. Not one for freeways I did this to get out of dodge.  Today was a go day.  Go to get out of Washington where I have road the Feejer endlessly.

At Washington Hwy 14 I head east.  Along the best twisty parts I was hung up by a car - well maybe not the car itself but the desire to obey the double yellow line.  I could have been around this chump in 5 seconds or less......  I quell my jets to enjoy the scenery and was rewarded.

Here is a photo near Cape Horn along the Columbia River Gorge on the Hwy 14 side.



On the Oregon side is I-84.  By riding the Washington side you get view an interesting and distant view of the grand water falls on the Oregon side.

My first dam on this trip is Upper Green Point Dam in Oregon, near Hood River.  I had to walk the last 150 yards to get a photo as it was too muddy to ride to the end on full size street machine.  Trade rags say a Vstrom is a street machine in drag - well I would have been happy to have my old Vstrom on the last 1/4 mile here!  I would have made it all the way.

Photo:  Where I will not take an FJR.  It was slick and muddy.


An alternate photo spot should have been provided as it is with other dams. Oh well on to the next dam point and the upcoming route is s a good one, I-84 to State Hwy 216 and 218.  Woo hoo!


View Larger Map

Today it was mostly gas n go especially after the first dam stop.  The photo below is Hwy 218 near Shaniko  Oregon and the road is this good all the way to Fossil Oregon.


This is a photo of me at the next Dam Tour stop. Lordy I need some Grecian Formula.


Observant readers will note there is no dam in this photo.  The dam is near here on a gravel road and DamTour allowed an exception.  This is the Clarno Unit Rest Spot on Hwy 218 my favorite road in the Pacific Northwest.  This road is even better than the North Cascades Hwy - a little Chubby Checker while riding would be perfect.  Common baby let's to the twist....

Hwy 218 ends in Fossil Oregon where you might find gas and you will find this sign.

Old Fossil's home in Fossil - who'd a thunk.  At 56 I am not far behind those who live here.

I had gassed up at the Dalles Oregon and went all the way to John Day Oregon a distance of 225 miles. If there is no gas in Fossil and you don't have decent range well you maybe out of luck.  I love the range on the Feejer.

I could have stayed in John Day but it is only an hour to Burns so on a went and arrived at a Days Inn for $57 per night on the AARP rate.  Total miles for the day is about 550.

Right now it is Sunday morning at 7:00am and I am finishing up the blog.  Outside it is about 30 degrees and I am waiting a bit for it to warm up.  Yeah I got my heated jacket, heated grips but no heated socks or pants.  It is time to shower and start packing.

PS my sore right hip is doing great!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezeout Saddle

During the first full week on October my lovely bride and I flew to Boston toured Boston for two days then drove north to tour New Hampshir...