About Me

My photo
Hi and welcome to my motorcycle trip blog. Here you will find motorcycle trip reports primarily based in the State of Washington and Idaho. Born and raised in Washington I have over 50 years of motorcycle experience. Enjoy the ride.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Dam Tour SW Day 4

Today I was on the road by 6:15 and felt more at easy today, more relaxed and able to enjoy the moment more.  Today's route is to the Sierra foothills south of Chico to Hwy 49 for, what else, more twisties.  Yea!  Then on to the Lahonton Dam then on the Loneliest Highway to Ely Nevada.  Let me tell you it isn't all that dam lonely on the Loneliest Highway.

But today was a great day!  Starting out with Hwy 49 in California then on through the Great Basin where the temps were in the upper 60's and mid 70's all day with nearly no wind.  Wow what a deal!

Here is the route:


View Larger Map

The route to Hwy 49 is courtesy of Destination Highways Northern California.  Go buy the book and map.  The authors list only the best roads, not all the roads. I have been on Hwy 49 before but it was years ago.  I forgot how good it is.  The pavement was inconsistent today, some great and some getting ready for repaving.  Lots of construction stops the 10 minute variety.  Kills time and rhythm.

Here is a few photos of Hwy 49 hot off the press.

Here the pavement was perfect.  The first pass was at full tilt then come back for the photo.  The first pass was good!
This sign caught my attention:


I didn't think the turns were bad at all.  Dam fine turns if you ask me.  Pavement needs some love.

Of course when I turn around to take the photo of this sign I this caught my eye.  Springtime is the best time to travel in California and the Southwest.



Here is the Dam of the Day photo.  Even used the trip pod with the remote (in my left hand).



The I continued through the Great Basin.  This is similar to Eastern Oregon but here the speed limit is 70 not 55  - what a blessing.

Great Basin photo shot while moving.


All in all my odometer says it was about 590 miles for the day.  I am planning on camping at Capital Reef National Park.  I have been there before and I like it.  My route to Wednesday is something like this.  Unless I go to a coffee shop in Torrey I will not have internet access.  No post on Wednesday.  I will go to the coffee shop to just to support a coffee shop in Utah!  Hopefully they will have a poppy seed muffin - my favorite.


View Larger Map


The End

1 comment:

Freezeout Saddle

During the first full week on October my lovely bride and I flew to Boston toured Boston for two days then drove north to tour New Hampshir...