About Me

My photo
Hi and welcome to my motorcycle trip blog. Here you will find motorcycle trip reports primarily based in the State of Washington and Idaho. Born and raised in Washington I have over 50 years of motorcycle experience. Enjoy the ride.

Monday, May 7, 2012

Dam Tour SW Day 3

During day two I found the middle of nowhere.  Today was just the opposite as I found the middle of the Sport Bike Touring universe.  Talk about contrasts, flat and boring road well at least Oregon Hwy 395 and Hwy 20 vs the excellent motorcycle roads, Hwy 96 and Hwy 36 in California.

Here is my route:



View Larger Map


I was underway at 7:30 this morning riding to Keno Dam a 2012 Dam Tour destination.  The park where I needed to go was closed.


This was a bit of a shock.  I hope this photo will suffice.  After this stop I road Oregon Hwy 66 for the first time.  It is a a high mountain road.

Here is a photo of Mt. McLoughlin along Hwy 66 in Oregon.



Today I found a bit of gravel in most of the turns but they are easy turns and and for a while I was wondering why everybody is raving about this road.  Then about 15 miles before Ashland the road heads down, cut into the side of a cliff, it winds sharply down with wicked sharp turns.  Nice.  I arrive at the bottom thinking I should try going  back up but instead I decide to head for the Old Syskiyou Hwy and I found it is closed for maintenance.

On to I-5 to California Hwy 96 a 150 mile twisty treat not available at Dairy Queen.  It is also LEO approved too for  50 to 60mph is fast enough to provide miles of smiles.  Fast sweepers is the rule here.  The pavement is excellent and the highway follows the Klamath River most of they way providing an abundance  of scenery for your visual kaleidoscope as you zip down the road.  The pavement is consistent and clean, inspiring confidence with each turn.  About 14 miles from Orleans the pavement gets a bit bumpy but not bad.  So far this is one great road that goes on and on an on with endless turns.

Just before Hoopa it comes to a climax with a set of less than a dozen turns that are banked and much tighter and anything previously.  The pavement is perfect.  Wham Wham Wham and then it is mostly done.

Any the best part is you don't have to exceed the speed limit to have a grand ole time.  It is like a ticket to a amusement park.

Here are some photos:

My Feejer with Garauld's Hydration System which is working out quite well.

Road Construction stop.  CalTrans is stabilizing the hill not changing the road.

Shoulders for pulling over for photos are are hard to find.

Another great turn.

And another turn.

Klamath River
Next it was on to Hwy 36.  Today I found the road surface a bit rough from patching similar to a quilt.  This road is much more technical than Hwy 96. The turns have more variety, more gravel, more tar snakes, and are much tighter.  Tim Mayhew of Pashinit.com has created a great web site of road in California.  Here is his free report describing Hwy 36.

Here are some photos I shot today.



My favorite sign in California!



I got the photo I wanted!

Well that my story for now.  Next up Ely, Nevada along the Loneliest Highway.  Some straight road will be fine - I got my twist fix - for now....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezeout Saddle

During the first full week on October my lovely bride and I flew to Boston toured Boston for two days then drove north to tour New Hampshir...